Tube measurement, gauging and production with the ROMER Absolute Arm
The Hexagon Metrology Tube Inspection System is a certified portable measuring solution designed to facilitate faster quality checks for tubes and tube assemblies – essential components for manufacturers in every industry segment.
Available as a turnkey hardware and software package, or as an upgrade to existing portable measuring arm units, the system uses the powerful ROMER Absolute Arm portable coordinate measuring machine (CMM) alongside specially designed non-contact tube probes and the state-of-the-art TubeShaper software to accelerate the measurement and inspection process, with the absolute minimum of intervention.
Hexagon Metrology’s Tube Inspection System is a total solution for all measurement needs associated with tube, pipe and wire production:
- Tube production
- Tube and pipe inspection
- Reverse engineering of tubes and tube assemblies
- Tube gauging
The easy-to-handle ROMER Absolute Arm uses non-contact tube probes, available in six different sizes, to measure tube length and bend angles as XYZ, LRA or YBC values, while standard touch probes ensure that full tube assemblies – including any welded fixtures like brackets or hangers – can be measured.
The state-of-the-art TubeShaper measurement software has been designed specifically for tube inspection with the ROMER Absolute Arm, and represents a totally new beginning in software use in this sector. Using a completely original interface, TubeShaper has been designed with some of the world’s leading tube producers to create a product that brings you valuable measurement and process information as simply and quickly as possible.
CAD models of tubes and tube assemblies can be imported directly, while interfaces to CNC tube bending machines ensure real-time correctional data is transmitted directly to the bending machine itself. Measurement plans can be created offline prior to measurement, or even automatically during first-part inspection. These routines can be recalled and run at any time, meaning that batch measurement is both fast and easy. All measurement data can also be exported in IGES file format for reverse engineering applications, without the need to manage complex point cloud data. Tube measurement has never been so complete.
The easy-to-use ROMER Absolute Arm requires no warm up or encoder referencing. Just plug it in and you’re ready to go.
Adaptable to the part
With ROMER Absolute Arm sizes ranging from 1.2 m to 4.5 m, two dedicated ‘T’ models for specific tube application and six tube probe options covering tube diameters from 4 mm to 130 mm to choose from, it’s easy to select the right size Tube Inspection System for your workpieces.
Automatic and repeatable probe recognition
All measurement probes can be swapped within the same software session, with no need to re-calibrate between changes. Simply switch from tube probe to touch probe on the fly, according to what you need to measure next.
Ergonomic system design
Perfectly-weighted counterbalancing ensures that the ROMER Absolute Arm is a pleasure to use, even for an entire 8-hour shift. The lightweight Tube Inspection System can be moved around your facility in minutes, to where it’s needed most.
Dedicated accessory range
A full range of accessories including additional tube probes, tube clamps, measurement tables and raisers mean that your Tube Inspection System can be configured to suit your working environment and application requirements.
Featuring a totally original user interface, TubeShaper has two access levels for users of different profiles. The Engineering Interface allows full use of all TubeShaper functions, while the Shop-floor Interface is designed for high-speed measurement. Larger icons enable control through the ROMER Absolute Arm, accelerating use and reducing trips to the computer.
Bending machine interface
Real-time direct interface to CNC tube benders enables correctional data to be calculated and applied within your production cycle, streamlining operations and almost completely eliminating scrap. Multiple bending machines can be supported by a single Tube Inspection System.
Measurement plans for rapid batch measurement
Every time a new tube is measured it is automatically saved as a measurement plan, which can be run later at any time. Measurement plans can also be defined offline prior to measurement, meaning your intervention time on the shop floor is reduced yet accuracy and repeatability are guaranteed.
Automatic and customisable reporting
Measurement reports can be created automatically and presented in the format you need, enabling you to monitor tube bender performance over time and spot problems on the shop floor before they become critical.
CAD data import and export
CAD models can be imported into TubeShaper in IGES and STEP formats as standard, while other popular CAD formats are also optionally available. For reverse engineering applications, tube and geometric data can be exported as an IGES or SV file.
Full system certification
The ROMER Absolute Arm and tube probes are certificated to B89.4.22 as standard. Certifications to VDI/VDE 2617-9 are also available on request.
- Improved probe design allows non-contact measurement of the tube's surface.
- Kinematic Probe Joint, the same type used in Hexagon Metrology bridge CMMs, provides repeatable connection of probes, with no need for recalibration. Automatic probe recognition allows you to change between tube probes and ball probes with no re-calibration in between.
- Compact Head has an ergonomically designed wrist that was modeled after the complex contours of the human hand. Buttons on the wrist are used to inspect parts or to interact with the software when in "mouse mode". An integrated work light and digital camera graphically document setups.
- Patented SpinGrips are infinitely rotating, low-friction "approved" hand hold positions for better user ergonomics. SpinGrips allow the arm to "float" in the operator's hands, reducing stress on the arm thus maximizing accuracy and repeatability while minimizing user fatigue.
- Absolute Encoders improve overall accuracy and eliminate all complicated "homing" procedures.
- Aerospace grade Carbon Fiber Tubes provide a lightweight, stiff structure that is thermally stable.
- Low Profile Zero-G Counterbalance balances the arm's weight for easy, operation with effortless control, even above and below the arm's centerline. Better ergonomics means lower operator fatigue and better measuring results.
- Integrated handle and lifting point under counterbalance allow for easy carrying.
- Feature Packs plug into the base and provide interchangeable and upgradeable add-on capabilities such as WiFi connection, battery power, and more.
- Universal thread mount base attaches to a variety of available base and stand options including magnetic bases.
- Patented Infinite Rotation in the principle axes allows access to difficult to reach areas, while avoiding damaging the arm against rotational hard stops.
Feature Pack Options for 6-Axis Absolute Arms:
DOCS tube inspection software allows direct connection to CNC tube benders via bender interfaces. Available interfaces include:
- Adaptive Motion – Later models supported [Network]
- Alpine CNC Benders [Network]
- Bend Pro CNC controller [Network]
- BLM Electric Tube Benders – all VGP3D controlled tube benders. [Network]
Dynam0, Dynam2, Dynam3, Dynam4, Dynamic 8, Swing, E-Turn, E-Bend, ELECT, VGP
- COMCO MFG/Keins – Windows based controller [Network]
- Eaton Leonard Lightspeed Bender [Network]
- Eaton Leonard VeLog Bender [Serial] Normal Mode
- Eaton Leonard Premier Bender [Serial] Extended Mode
- Herber - (add-on option) [Network]
- Horn Tube Benders [Network]
- LANG Tube Benders - Windows XP based Siemens controllers [Network]
- MiiC/OPTON CNC Standard Pipe Bending Machines [Serial]
MS, MC, EMO and MSO Series
- Pines TS2000 controllers, and later model Dial-A-Bend PLC based controllers [Network]
- Silfax Tube Benders [Network]
- SMT – Controller must have BenderLink installed [Network]
- Schwarze–Robitec – Later model controllers [Network]
- Techno Benders with Bend-Pro CNC Controller [Network]
The Hexagon Metrology Tube Inspection Solution is comprised of three elements chosen to fit customer requirements:
- Choice of ‘T’ Series or standard model of ROMER Absolute Arm:
- The ‘T’ Series of the ROMER Absolute Arm is designed for the tube industry, and features a stronger counterbalance for faster tube measurement and improved ergonomics. It is available in two measuring volumes: 2.5 m and 3 m.
- The standard ROMER Absolute Arm is more suited to customers who need to measure more complex parts like brackets, flanges and fixtures.
- Choice of ROMER Tube Probe: There are 6 sizes to choose from according to the diameter of the tubes you need to measure. All ROMER Tube Probes are compatible with all ROMER Absolute Arm models.
- TubeShaper software
Technical Data: ROMER Absolute Arm / Hardware
Measurement volume (Standard ROMER Absolute Arm): 1.2 m-4.5 m (3.9 ft.-14.8 ft.).
Measurement volume (ROMER Absolute Arm ‘T’ Series): 2.5 m or 3 m (8.2 ft. or 9.8 ft.).
Tube diameter: 4 mm-130 mm (0.15 in.-5.1 in.)
Working temperature: 0?C-50?C (32°F-122°F)
Storage temperature: -30?-70? C (-22°F-158°F)
Relative humidity: 10%-90% non-condensing
CE conformity: Yes
Power requirement: Universal worldwide voltage 110V-240V
ROMER Absolute Arm ‘T’ Series
|Model||Measuring range||Point Repeatability||Volumetric accuracy||Arm Weights|
|7325T||2.5 m / 8.2 ft.||+/- 0.044 mm / 0.0017 in||+/- 0.059 mm / 0.0023 in||7.7 kg / 17.0 lbs|
|7330T||3.0 m / 9.8 ft.||+/- 0.068 mm / 0.0027 in||+/- 0.086 mm / 0.0034 in||8.0 kg / 17.6 lbs|
All specifications according to B89.4.22. Certification is also available to VDI/VDE 2617-9.
Tube Probe range and Tube Inspection System accuracy (ROMER Absolute Arm + Tube Probe)
|Tube Probe Size 1||Tube Probe Size 2||Tube Probe Size 3||Tube Probe Size 4||Tube Probe Size 5||Tube Probe Size 6|
|Tube diameters of 4-13 mm (0.15-0.51 in.)||Tube diameters of 6-20 mm (0.25-0.75 in.)||Tube diameters of 10-40 mm (0.40-1.6 in.)||Tube diameters of 12-65 mm (0.5-2.5 in.)||Tube diameters of 20-85 mm (0.75-3.3 in.)||Tube diameters of 30-130 mm (1.2-5.1 in.)|
|System accuracy = Arm volumetric accuracy + 0.1 mm|